Our team at 1st Choice Insurance believes that everyone deserves great value on their insurance policies, which is why we offer great value for money with incredible savings. Call us today on 0800 078 7003 – 0300 600 0603 or complete our Get a Quote Form. What kind of travel insurance do you need? Single trip or annual insurance? We can also offer advice on policies for specialist insurance including winter sports and cover for those over the age of 65.
Travel Insurance Overview
When travelling overseas it is important to take out travel insurance. An emergency abroad can be extremely expensive, for example:
- A stomach bug/infection treated in a Californian hospital with return flights cost £100,000
- A fall resulting in a broken hip, treatment in a Spanish hospital with return flights cost £15,000
Remember: the British Embassy or High Commission will not pay for this. Your credit card accident cover, home insurance or private health cover is not always sufficient. If travelling within the European Economic Areas you will need an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) as well as travel insurance – apply for your free EHIC
What your travel insurance policy should cover:
Emergency medical cover
The main purpose of travel insurance is to cover you for the potentially high cost of medical treatment and repatriation if you are injured or fall ill abroad. This should include:
- Emergency medical treatment costs, including hospital charges and ambulance fees
- Returning you home following medical treatment abroad if you cannot use your original ticket
- Reasonable additional transport and/or accommodation expenses for a close relative or friend to stay with you or travel from the UK to escort you if required
- Temporary emergency dental treatment for the relief of immediate pain
- 24 hours assistance helplines to offer support and advice about appropriate treatment
It is important to answer any questions from your insurer about your medical history fully and honestly. Withholding details of your medical history may mean you are not fully covered.
Cover to meet your needs
In addition to ensuring you have appropriate medical cover, when choosing a policy, travellers should take some time to think about the following when buying insurance.
Common travel insurance policy exclusions
Most travel insurance policies exclude cover for events that happen after excessive alcohol consumption.
Some policies exclude cover for terrorist acts; if possible get a policy that doesn’t exclude terrorism.
Hopefully, you will not need to claim on your travel insurance and you can just relax and enjoy your holiday, safe in the knowledge that if any mishaps occur, you have cover in place.
Whatever your requirements, 1st Choice Insurance is here to help. Call our friendly, experienced team on 0800 078 7003 – 0300 600 0603 for a no-obligation quote.