What Does Goods In Transit Insurance Cover?

Goods in Transit Insurance, also known as GIT insurance, covers goods against loss or damage while in your vehicle. Whether you are transporting materials to and from a site or delivering goods on behalf of a customer, with goods in transit insurance, you can have peace of mind that these items are protected.

What is Goods in Transit Insurance?

This type of insurance is typically an additional cover to courier, commercial vehicle, or HGV insurance. Those types of policies usually cover the vehicle itself, while GIT insurance covers the contents of the vehicle that you are responsible for.

Separate GIT insurance is likely essential for businesses that operate with more than a single vehicle, for example, anyone running a fleet of vans or trucks.

What does Goods in Transit Insurance cover?

If the goods are lost, stolen, or damaged in transit, having GIT insurance in place can provide financial protection while they’re being transported from one place to another, for example, when they are being moved from a factory or workshop to a retail outlet, business premises, or private property.
It’s important to note that GIT insurance only covers the contents of your vehicle while they’re in transit, not before you depart or once they’ve been delivered. Different policies offer different levels of cover, so it’s important to fully inform the insurer or broker about the type of cargo you will be carrying, how often you’ll be carrying it, and to be as accurate as possible about its value. The right goods in transit courier insurance policy for you will also depend on the nature of your business or individual circumstances.

Who needs Goods in Transit Insurance?

If you’re a courier or work in the haulage industry, then you will probably need GIT insurance, especially if the cargo you carry isn’t yours. At 1st Choice, we understand that GIT insurance isn’t just for couriers, but may also be required for:

• Motor Trade
• Removal Services
• Vehicle Transportation
• Haulage Contractors

It would also be beneficial for those in the motor trade and vehicle recovery business to take out goods in transit insurance cover, as you may transport expensive business equipment and parts, new vehicles to be sold, or even clients’ vehicles that are in for repair that would all need to be protected.

What is the difference between Goods in Transit Insurance and Courier Insurance?

The main difference between goods in transit and courier insurance is that goods in transit refers to the protection of the items you are transporting, whereas courier insurance refers to courier van insurance. Courier insurance policies can sometimes include goods in transit cover, however this is usually only up to a certain value.

Why choose 1st Choice Insurance?

Our team will use their specialist knowledge of the market to ensure you get the right level of cover you need. We work with a wide panel of insurers, and we have access to a range of suitable policies to fit your business’s needs.

We are an independent broker, which means we’re not tied to any specific providers or corporations, so you can rest assured that our advice is unbiased and we’re looking out for you and your business first. If you would like a no-obligation goods in transit quote, call our friendly team on 01743 770500 or fill out our get a quote form.

Leave us a review to be in with a chance to WIN £1000 provided by Smart Money People!

Contact Us

  • Policy Information

  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • Policy Holder Information

  • DD slash MM slash YYYY
  • By submitting this form you agree to our Terms & Conditions & Privacy Policy